DIGIT-ARC read-only archive · snapshot: July 23, 2026

catch 22 situation

5 posts · originally from https://geek.digit.in/community/threads/catch-22-situation.69891/

M
murali_crst Original post #1
Oct 4, 2007 at 9:47 PM
hi friends,I'm using a 256MB SDRAM & my motherboard doesn't support a DDR RAM;so shud i upgrade my SDRAM(which is outdated or being phasd out)or shud i go & buy a new motherboard & a DDR(finanacial constraint:confused:)so plzzzzz suggest me the best possiblity
The_Devil_Himself
Oct 4, 2007 at 9:57 PM
Go for a motherboard supporting ddr2 RAM.They are available for as low as Rs.3k.Then you can sell off your current RAM module and gor for even a gb of ddr2 RAM(around 1.2k)
S
Oct 4, 2007 at 10:05 PM
An extra 256 MB SDRAM will set you off by about 1 k while adding 512 MB SDRAM will set you off by about 2k... If you are using XP or older version of windows, or perhaps linux, and dont use any very-intensive software, you should stick with the current config and upgrade just the RAM for now...

Arun
.
Oct 4, 2007 at 10:06 PM
^ I was in the same fix 1 month ago.
I checked SDRAM prices in NP and was appalled to learn that SDRAM has almost disappeared from the markets.
The few distributors who can source it from the manufacturers wanted d pound of flesh in return.
You are better off buying a new mobo, proccie and RAM. I just upgraded.
If you want SDRAM and are based in Delhi, perhaps i can sell you mine cheap. But first, check the markets for the price and tell me how much you are willing to spend and then decide if you are ready to upgrade now or wait a few months.
If the latter, I advice atleast wait til november for the Penryn core intel processors, Barcelona from AMD and the X38 mobos. Their launch will have a trickle down effect on every other product in the markets and you may get upgrades cheaper.
The_Devil_Himself
Oct 4, 2007 at 10:08 PM
I too advise you to wait till november end to make your upgrades.In the meantime save some more and keep an eye on Bazaar section.