DIGIT-ARC read-only archive · snapshot: July 23, 2026
ghantaukay
ghantaukay Original post #1
Mar 4, 2011 at 8:08 PM
I am planning to upgrade my pc : New mobo : Gigabyte P67A UD7, Proc : i7-2600.Since I already own a Sapphire 6870 graphics card I thought I shouldn't opt for the H67 mobos but I am not sure.I have a Corsair W450 PSU.I wonder if that has to be upgraded too and I have 2 sticks of DDR2 Zion RAM sticks. Can I use them with the new mobo or should I have to replace them too with DDR3 sticks? I am not very much into overclocking but I play a lot of games and am crazy about multimedia. Do you think the new mobo and processor will be overkill. If you have any better suggestions please advise me. I have a budget of about 25 grand to spare but not a paise more.My old pc config is as follows :
mobo : abit IP35 Pro Off Limits ; Corsair VX450 W (psu) ; Intel Duo Core 8400 ; Zion 4 GB RAM ; Sapphire 6870 Graphics Card (bought just 2 months ago); Asus Xonar DX soundcard ; Altec Lansing M5021 Speakers ; Cooler Master Cosmos S Cabinet ; Logitech Darkfield Mouse...As this is my first post in Digit Forum which is also my fav mag I would like all u guys out there to help me make a choice. Thanks
Ishu Gupta
Mar 4, 2011 at 8:42 PM
Component|Model|Price
CPU|Intel i5 2500K|11.5k
Motherboard|ASUS P8P67|10k
RAM|GSkill/Corsair 2x2GB DDR3 1333MHz|2.3k
Total||23.8k
Rest of what you have is fine.
Later you can go for CFx
masterkd
Mar 4, 2011 at 9:07 PM
your current cabinet and psu is very good and vx450 can easily handle 6870..you have to ditch the rams cause p67 supports ddr3 not ddr2!!
ghantaukay
Mar 5, 2011 at 2:32 PM
[QUOTEMotherboard|ASUS P8P67
[/QUOTE]
Thanks dude. I was also fiddling with the idea of the Asus board but should I opt for the Asus P8P67 or P8P67 Pro.
ghantaukay
Mar 5, 2011 at 6:12 PM
I can upgrade my PSU later I should think. I just want to know if the Corsair Gskill is compatible with the mobo mentioned above. I googled and found this :
Gskill Ripjaws Series 2x2GB DDR3 1333MHz F3-10666CL9D-4GBRL Desktop Memory

Specifications

Specifications
Capacity 4GB (2 x 2GB)
Speed DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)
Type 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM
Timing 9-9-9-24
CAS Latency 9
Voltage 1.5V
ECC No
Buffered/Registered Unbuffered
Features
Features Compatible with Dual Channel Intel Core i5 CPU for P55 chipset motherboard, Dual Channel Core i7 CPU for P55 chipset motherboard, and AMD AM3 Platform.
vickybat
Mar 5, 2011 at 10:37 PM
^^ I guess those rams will be compatible on a p67 and h67 chipset. No problem in cfx if you change the psu.:smile:
Ishu Gupta
Mar 5, 2011 at 11:49 PM
vickybat said:
How can he cfx 6870 on a vx 450?
ghantaukay said:
I can upgrade my PSU later I should think.
;)

And that RAM is fine.
You can check out the Ripjaws X series thats specially for Sandybridge.
ghantaukay
Mar 8, 2011 at 7:18 PM
Dude is the Gskill F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL the same as the one you have mentioned in your post the Ripjaws X series.The cost is Rs 3250 at primeabgb.That's a bit over the budget for me Im afraid. But I will scrounge for the remaining dough and go for it if you say That's it.
Jaskanwar Singh
Mar 8, 2011 at 8:57 PM
^^no need to reduce on other components for memory. but its a G.Skill Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-4GBXL. get it from smcinternational.in.

---------- Post added at 08:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:53 PM ----------

Gskill Sandy Bridge 4GB 1600 Mhz DDR3 2GB X 2

that you mentioned is 2500rs at smc -
Gskill [Ripjaws] DDR3-1600 (PC3 12800) 4gb kit
R
rupankur #11
Mar 8, 2011 at 9:09 PM
Insteade of SANDYBRIDGE P67 wait for IVYBRIDGE or go back to X58 i7Lynnfield becouse P67 B2 -a Faulty motherboard ( no work of sata 3,4,5,6 port) & the P67 B3 -a Repaired motherboard. If they redesign the cost will be high time also take place, by the time IVYBRIDGE will appear .
Jaskanwar Singh
Mar 8, 2011 at 9:18 PM
^^those B3 are already out. just wait for them in india now. some shops though are already having some of repaired ones..
and no ponit of x58 now. 2500k is much better than that i7 950 at 16k!
R
rupankur #13
Mar 10, 2011 at 12:48 PM
The new Intel engine Sandybridge i7 2600 is far better than i7 Lynnfield but the problem with chasis P67 (?) but than option is Intel Z68 Express Chipset if you should wait for Intel's true LGA 1155 , release date not confarm yet , so only way immediet solution X58 i7 Lynnfield .
P67 & H67 NEVER BE GOOD . If Intel redesign , all motherboard manufacturing factory in China and Taiwan have to be RESET their machine for this motherboard , so total cost = (Intel redesign cost + factory reset cost)
rohitshakti2
Mar 10, 2011 at 2:52 PM
If you can wait for 2-3 months, then wait for the Liano processor from AMD. It is better than the current Intel processors.

See this:

AMD demo Llano on YouTube | bit-tech.net
d3p
d3p #15
Mar 10, 2011 at 4:47 PM
@ Rohit: If you wanna wait then you will have wait forever in order to buy some good things. Coz technology is changing once in every 3-4 months.

Decide !!!!!!!!!!.........
ghantaukay
Mar 10, 2011 at 4:57 PM
@ Rohit: If you wanna wait then you will have wait forever in order to buy some good things. Coz technology is changing once in every 3-4 months.

Decide !!!!!!!!!!.........

u hit the nail on the head dude !. I wanted to get the Asus X58 mobo in Nov last year and then some wise guy told me wait...get the Sandy Bridge in a month or two and I did just that.In Feb last week I placed an order for Asus P8P67 Pro mobo and I just got news about the bug in this mobo and that I should wait for the B3 setting wala mobo and wtf..seems like this will go on forever. I just want to know which mobo I can get which will support my brand new Intel Core i5 processor 2500K .
d3p
d3p #17
Mar 10, 2011 at 5:01 PM
u hit the nail on the head dude !. I wanted to get the Asus X58 mobo in Nov last year and then some wise guy told me wait...get the Sandy Bridge in a month or two and I did just that.In Feb last week I placed an order for Asus P8P67 Pro mobo and I just got news about the bug in this mobo and that I should wait for the B3 setting wala mobo and wtf..seems like this will go on forever. I just want to know which mobo I can get which will support my brand new Intel Core i5 processor 2500K .

IMO B3 revision is already available with SMC from last week itself & others even, wait for other to Confirm.
R
rupankur #18
Mar 10, 2011 at 8:39 PM
IMO B3 revision is already available with SMC from last week itself & others even, wait for other to Confirm.

I was contac twice with SMC for H67 B3 STEPPING vertion but they not single reply. From Intel -Sobha Nair Technical Customer Support Engineer- Asia Pacific Region ( sasupport@mailbox.intel.com ) also inform by email that H67 B3 avalable in INDIA but I could not find out in local market, or online.
Are you sure AVAILABLE at SMC ?
ghantaukay
Mar 11, 2011 at 5:23 PM
I was contac twice with SMC for H67 B3 STEPPING vertion but they not single reply. From Intel -Sobha Nair Technical Customer Support Engineer- Asia Pacific Region ( sasupport@mailbox.intel.com ) also inform by email that H67 B3 avalable in INDIA but I could not find out in local market, or online.
Are you sure AVAILABLE at SMC ?

Nope. I contacted smc and they confirmed that the B3 stepping mobos will be available with them only in mid April...till then u just sit tight and play with your jewels (lol)
d3p
d3p #20
Mar 11, 2011 at 5:31 PM
Nope. I contacted smc and they confirmed that the B3 stepping mobos will be available with them only in mid April...till then u just sit tight and play with your jewels (lol)

If thats the case, then one word answer "Pathetic".

@lordirecto: If you can see this forum, i hope you will comit suicide, if not then careful & check with SMC.
lordirecto
Mar 11, 2011 at 6:21 PM
I just want to know which mobo I can get which will support my brand new Intel Core i5 processor 2500K .

I am in the exact same situation, also add to it a MSi NGTX 570 Ti Twin Frozr/OC and a Cooler Master HAF X Cabinet are still to be acquired by me, after both needed to be replaced because of unfortunate mishaps.

---------- Post added at 06:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:15 PM ----------

@lordirecto: If you can see this forum, i hope you will comit suicide, if not then careful & check with SMC.

SMC told me to take the older B2 stepping version until the newer B3 version of the motherboard is available, but it was me who said I can wait, thinking I needed to wait only for a week. I have already contacted SMC to send me the older version of the motherboard. Then I can RMA with Asus itself.