DIGIT-ARC read-only archive · snapshot: July 23, 2026

need a new procy

27 posts · originally from https://geek.digit.in/community/threads/need-a-new-procy.82531/

H
hellgate Original post #1
Mar 13, 2008 at 12:17 AM
i need a new procy and i had ordered 4 a E8400 but didnt get it 2night,vendor said he'll be able to get it earliest by Friday night.at present he has ready stock of E2160 & E4500.

my pc will be mainly used or gaming with a HP vp15s (15" LCD) with bits of photohopping,dvd ripping and video editing thrown in.i'll oc anyrocy that i'll buy and i've already got a aBit IP35-E.but if i satisfied with it i'll get a IX38-Quad GT.also i'll be upgrading to Nehalem once it hits the market.

prices of the procies r :
E2160 -> 2600
E4500 -> 4550
E8400 -> 8300

keeping all these things in mind which procy wud u suggest?

plz help me decide.:)
infra_red_dude
Mar 13, 2008 at 12:29 AM
If you don't need VT then get E4500.
H
Mar 13, 2008 at 12:38 AM
no i dont need VT.
i just wanna game.so a E4500 sud do me good till Nehalem arrives.gpu is 8800GTS 320MB and 3*1GB of ram.
infra_red_dude
Mar 13, 2008 at 12:52 AM
Yea should be enuf if you OC. E4500 should be sufficient.
H
Mar 13, 2008 at 1:01 AM
main prob is i afaik E2160 & E4500 ont hav any huge performance diff when both r oc'd to above 3GHz.so i'm confused between these 2.
wanted to go 4 E8400 cuz i cud oc it to 4GHz and above.
infra_red_dude
Mar 13, 2008 at 1:21 AM
Cache sir, cache... thats what matters!
H
Mar 13, 2008 at 1:27 AM
yup i know cache plays a big part but then i'm downgrading from Q6600.if i look at cache then my best bet is E8400,but i dont think that its full potential will be used.this thing is just getting on my nerves.i just cant decide which one to buy.if only Intel ud release Nehalem by mid 2009 then i wud hav got the E8400 with my eyes closed.
H
Mar 13, 2008 at 3:57 PM
so no 1 else has anything more 2 say?
S
Mar 13, 2008 at 6:56 PM
IMO, the safe bet is to go for the less power consuming E8400. I have heard that it can overclock it to about 4GHz very easily.
(Had just read about this: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Overclocking Guide)

FYI, the Nehalem Mainstream Desktop processors will be arriving Q1/Q2 2009.
Chk this link:
*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nehalem_(CPU_architecture)#Variants

Even if it arrives say Feb/March, initial prices will be high(assuming). It will take some time for the prices to come down atleast in India. So you would be buying it only around April/May. Thats almost a year by now. You can also read the reviews / cons of the Nehalem processors if any at that time interval.

If your are have budget constraints or not investing more, then you can go for E4500.

If you are still undecided about which to choose, Check out the following links:

E8400, E4500, or E2180?
E4500 overclocked vs Stock E8400

Hope that helps.
darklord
darklord #10
Mar 13, 2008 at 7:17 PM
E8400 all the way dude !!
I know its expensive but its worth it :)
H
hellgate #11
Mar 14, 2008 at 9:04 AM
just 4 testing purposes i've a E2160 running @ 3GHz with 2GB ram and 8800GTS 320MB @ 650|2000|1650.when i'm playing Assassins Creed @ 1024x768 with everything maxed out theres a certain lag in the game which i hadnt faced with a E4500 @ 2.76GHz.so is the E2160 uncapable to fullfill my gaming needs.
also general computing usage doesnt seem to be as pleasureable as it had been with my prev configs.
i've the E8400 lying around (got it frm my vendor yesterday but thought i cud do with E2160 so havent opend the E8400).so sud i install the E8400??
H
hellgate #13
Mar 14, 2008 at 11:31 PM
got the E8400 at last.
thnx to all of u for ur help.
darklord
darklord #14
Mar 15, 2008 at 10:59 AM
^^ Lucky you.
Actually i am saying this because all these 8xxx cpus are in short supply, they have already disappeared from US stores. Intel isnt going to let these chips be available in abundance till the channel is cleared of 65nm chips.
So hold tight to your 8400.
I am also sitting tight with my 8400 and 8500, not gonna let them go anywhere.Best part is both clock immensely well.
Play with your 8400 and see how it scales.
Could you tell me the stepping and try for max FSB with dropped multi ?
H
hellgate #15
Mar 15, 2008 at 11:19 AM
Stepping is C0.as of now i'm running it @ 450 FSB and its running fine.
just ran a 3DMark06 bench with my E8400 @ 4GHz (445 fsb).this is the score:
14061
SM2.0 -> 5952
HDR/SM3.0 -> 6461
CPU -> 3673

r these scores ok or sud i be getting something more?


______
darklord
darklord #16
Mar 15, 2008 at 12:03 PM
That CPU score is very good IMHO.
All Wolfdales are C0 re, tell me the FPO/Batch # on the CPU box. :)
Keep pushing ! Remember to cool the chipset with a fan or somethin, its passively cooled.It does get warm you see.
H
hellgate #17
Mar 15, 2008 at 1:17 PM
FPO/Batch # Q748A123

as far as the ram is concerned its a Transcend ram with a Transcend chip.
so sud i continue feeding 2.2v @ 900 @ 5-5-5-15?
it wont boot with 2.1v
darklord
darklord #18
Mar 15, 2008 at 2:48 PM
hmm I know, all their modules have chips with transcend printed over it.Transcend do not manufacture ICs so these are relabelled ones.Take a pic of the sticker on module na.Will make life much easier :)
H
hellgate #19
Mar 15, 2008 at 3:09 PM
i'm online on gtalk.
id: shuvadeep07@gmail.com

will upload pic in few moments

heres the pic of the ram stick:

*img155.imageshack.us/img155/4548/15032008080yk9.th.jpg
darklord
darklord #20
Mar 15, 2008 at 6:20 PM
Looks like Elpida to me. Be careful with voltages dear.
Pathik
Pathik #21
Mar 15, 2008 at 6:26 PM
darky wat's the max fsb you got on the 8400 on air ? also tell me the max fsb on stock cooling.
H
hellgate #22
Mar 15, 2008 at 6:38 PM
u can do 4GHz (445MHz fsb) on stock cooling provided ur case has good airflow.
H
hellgate #23
Mar 16, 2008 at 12:05 AM
i'm getting bout 13k for my 4months old XFX 8800GTS 320MB.so i'm thinking of selling it off.
so which card sud i buy in 15k-18k?or sud i hold on till 9800GTX is released?
darklord
darklord #24
Mar 17, 2008 at 10:05 AM
darky wat's the max fsb you got on the 8400 on air ? also tell me the max fsb on stock cooling.

Well frankly i havent clocked the E8400 on Air as yet, under DICE i clocked 582FSB Max on Abit IX38 QuadGT.
Once both my TRUEs arrive, i will do some AIR benching, will try max FSB on air then.

i'm getting bout 13k for my 4months old XFX 8800GTS 320MB.so i'm thinking of selling it off.
so which card sud i buy in 15k-18k?or sud i hold on till 9800GTX is released?
If you have a budget of 18k, bump it a bit and get 3870X2 :) or else 8800GT @ 12-13k.
H
hellgate #25
Mar 17, 2008 at 10:51 AM
wil my Coolermaster Extreme Power Duo 650W handle the 3870X2??
darklord
darklord #26
Mar 17, 2008 at 11:04 AM
it should, but i dont think you will be able to clock much.
H
hellgate #27
Mar 17, 2008 at 11:08 AM
then i dont think i'll buy that.it all depends on whether i'll get a buyer 4 my present psu or not.