DIGIT-ARC read-only archive · snapshot: July 23, 2026

Upgrade Suggestion

15 posts · originally from https://geek.digit.in/community/threads/upgrade-suggestion.33229/

nishant_nms
nishant_nms Original post #1
Aug 3, 2006 at 7:43 AM
I have a AMD Athlon 64 2800+ 754 processor and a Gigabyte mobo based on VIA K8M800 chipset with 384 MB RAM and a shared 64 MB VRAM for the IGP Unichrome Pro 2. I am a casual gamer. And alo I am thinking to get my PC Vista ready. So I have decided not to upgrade myb pro as I think it may serve good for me for atleast next two years. So I decided for going in for a 1 GB DDR 400 RAM from kingston and a mobo upgrade to ASUS K8N-VM for AMD 754 *www.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=3&l2=14&l3=245&model=952&modelmenu=1 . As the mobo has nvidia 6100 chipset supporting DirectX9 and PCIe. Now suggest me whether to upgrade or wait for sometime to have a DirectX 10 based mobo(IGP). And what should be the idle price of the above components. If u have a better idea then plz tell me.
nishant_nms
Aug 4, 2006 at 11:43 PM
no body here who can help me
A
akshayt #3
Aug 5, 2006 at 12:41 AM
next 2 yrs not possible.

cheap upgrade:
oc your cpu if mobo etc permits
get 1-2gb ram
sub 10k graphic card

decent upgrade
amd 64 3000-3500 or x2 3800
new mobo
20k type graphic card
2gb ram or more

no onboard is exactly up to the mark
samrulez
Aug 5, 2006 at 11:16 AM
But just get 1Gig ram and get a 6200 or 6600 based gfx card ...it can run vista...

How much does the mobo cost (ASUS K8N-VM ) ??????????
nishant_nms
Aug 5, 2006 at 9:25 PM
the mobo is costing me 3700. I wanted to upgrade it because if I invest in a gfx card then it will become a waste if I upgrade my mobo/pro later due to AGP bus and also the ASUS mobo has got SATA 2 and within 6 months I will be buying a HDD.
A
akshayt #6
Aug 5, 2006 at 9:28 PM
get 754 pcie mobo and a pci e graphic card and 1gb or more ram.
D
dabster #7
Aug 6, 2006 at 3:43 PM
You are thinking it the right way....
Buy a 754 mobo which supports PCIe and SATA 2.

Don't wait for AM2 socket mobo (anyhow it comes to mind) as the launch price would be high and yr upgrade will become unneccessarily costly...
Go with yr plans.
samrulez
Aug 6, 2006 at 8:08 PM
But i u r getting a new mobo then get a 939 mobo and a 3000 for 4500 bucks....then u can even upgrade to a X2 or FX processor/....and 4500 bucks is not much for a 3000+
A
akshayt #9
Aug 6, 2006 at 10:20 PM
3000 is around 3800 now.
nishant_nms
Aug 7, 2006 at 11:40 AM
should I wait for a mobo with IGP supporting DX10 for my processor or I shoul go with my current plan
samrulez
samrulez #11
Aug 7, 2006 at 11:49 AM
No...........don't wait for a DX10 IGP!! Use a DX 9 card for a 1 yr and then get a DX10 card........
nishant_nms
Aug 7, 2006 at 12:53 PM
samrulez said:
No...........don't wait for a DX10 IGP!! Use a DX 9 card for a 1 yr and then get a DX10 card........

You mean than DX10 will be available after a year
samrulez
samrulez #13
Aug 7, 2006 at 1:13 PM
near that......and for DX10 IGP mobos to be available cheaply...it will take atleast a yr
nishant_nms
Aug 7, 2006 at 1:18 PM
samrulez said:
near that......and for DX10 IGP mobos to be available cheaply...it will take atleast a yr
but will they be available for AMD processor based on 754 pin
samrulez
samrulez #15
Aug 7, 2006 at 1:21 PM
I doubt!!!!Seriously!!!But it may/will for 939..........so don't get a 754 mobo now.....atleast a 939 mobo with a 3000+ for 4k....